Feel it , try it, switch it
Exploring Lipohypertrophy & Benefits of proper Injection Techniques
This 60-minute presentation will visit how lipohypertrophy (lipos) can adversely affect glycemic control and how proper injection technique can prevent lipohypertrophies from developing and also by revisiting and adapting better injection techniques lipohypertrophies can resolve resulting in better and more consistent glycemic control.
This presentation will present these 3 main topics:
- Understand what lipohypertrophy is, how it develops and how to prevent it.
- Learn how you can assess and identify lipohypertrophy (lipos) in your practice.
- Review practical tips for treatment of lipohypertrophy.
- Review proper injection technique (IT) for people living with diabetes, including proper site rotation.
- Understand the impact of needle length in relation to lipohypertrophy.
The concepts will be presented using a typical insulin case presentation in a patient who has been using insulin for about 10 years. The patient has had increasing doses of insulin over the years but also has more variability of glycemic control. By investigating the impact of lipohypertrophy and then applying the FIT (Forum for Injection Technique) recommendations, the program will illustrate how as pharmacists we may help overcome the challenges of “lipo’s” by identifying poor injection technique as part of a therapy review. The role of proper needle length in avoiding intramuscular injections and its potential for causing inconsistent insulin absorption is also discussed.
FUTURE INNS HALIFAX
30 Fairfax Drive
Halifax, NS, B3S 1P1
Phone: (902) 443-4333